Thursday, January 5, 2012

{Birthday Fun}

Well I can't believe that this past Sunday, my baby girl turned 3! I remember like it was yesterday the day she was born. Being my last of 3 girls, and knowing that we were not having anymore, kinda made this birth a little more defined in time, just as my oldest daughter and the one in the middle they all have a special spot and memories that I will always cherish.

Anyways enough with the mushy mommy stuff...lol!

I decided that since this was going to be my baby's first birthday party with friends, she would get to pick out a theme...Being a HUGE D-D-Dora fan, it was inevitable, I was throwing a Dora Birthday Party...and I had not one thing that would really fit the theme, so for this party, I went shopping. I bought invitations, paper plates, paper cups, napkins, party hats and noise makers...(Had I not being suffering from a migraine the party blowers would have been awesome addition...but they were not!)

I, not being a great baker then decided to order her a Dora cupcake cake...only to end up with a Disney Princess cake...being a great sport and having a great day it was not an issue at all with my little princess! She was excited either way...Playing little peek in the box added to the excitement too!

Having bought most of the party supplies from the store I just was not happy with the face that I had not made a single handmade item for this party I knew I needed to create! I decided  to decorate kraft paper bags, for the treat bags, I decided to make paper chains to decorate with...those however never made it up....and finally I made a paper banner.

I started with figuring out which banner shape I wanted to use and proceeded to cut out the shape using my Art Philosophy Cricut Cartridge, I cut out the banner in a variety of colors (pink, orange, blue, green and yellow)
I then decided to cut out the letters as well from the Art Philosophy Cartridge, I cut out a white set at 2 1/4", and a black set at 2". I was then going to layer them and add some bling...nothing better then some birthday bling!
Once all the letters were assembled and bling was added I proceeded to cut out strips of 2" x 12" sparkle paper in the same colors as the banner to make "Yo-Yo Flowers*"
 With the strips cut, scored and folded I cut out circle and scalloped circles to help to assemble my yo-yo flowers and to give my letters a base to be adhered to.

 I used Gypsy Ink to sponge the edges of the scalloped circles to make the letters pop
I used my hot glue gun to help to form the yo-yo flowers and place the scalloped circles onto the center of each one.
 Once each flower was complete and the letters were placed, I laid the banner out and figured out how I would like it to be bound together.

I used some white grosgrain ribbon to tie each banner piece to the other and made two separate banners to this great set.
 As I looked at the finished product I realized it seemed to be missing something so I took my white pen and started to draw on some faux stitching...partically because I was not going to hand stitch each pendent and I haven't received the Stitched Together (C1459) stamp set yet...it should be here next week...
                                                
                                                          {Happy Dance}

I think it really came together nicely and it was a hit with my daughter...It might even see another birthday this year...if my middle daughter doesn't change her mind!

I will be posting tomorrow on the great Snowmen the kids made at the birthday party and it was totally lifted from another great blog...Can't wait to share this great project and the wonderful blog I got the inspiration from!


Let's Live Inspired!




{* Check out page 27 of the Close To My Heart 2012 Spring/Summer Idea Book on Feb. 1, 2012 for some great inspiration on how to create another fabulous version of the "Yo-Yo' Flower"}

1 comment:

  1. Excellent banner. The paper yo-yos add lots of texture and depth.

    ReplyDelete

Thought sharing happens here!